In case you haven't guessed it already, I am speaking about my wonderfully funny and sweet grandson, Dylan..... Absolute light of my life..... Who is also spoiled and over indulged by yours truly! A little help from my husband too!
Dylan's massive toy collection has begun to take over our house. Part of the problem is Dylan's OCD and his attachment to his toys. Dylan can tell you when and on what occasion he rec'd a particular toy. He knows who gave it to him or whether he bought it at Walmart, Target, Toys R Us or on eBay. He has such a deep attachment to these toys that it is next to impossible to dispose of anything. Anyone who has ever been in my house knows just exactly what I am talking about. He collects "sets" of things and wants EVERYTHING saved for his kids. He has severe anxiety attacks if you try to make him get rid of something. Also, although he is pretty rough on things, God forbid there be a mark or a scuff on anything. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have been a Godsend when it comes to removing minor marks. I have also become quite the expert at color matching things with Sharpie markers or model paints.
It all came to a head tonight over putting his Cars toys in individual Ziploc bags. Dylan had put each individual toy in a Ziploc then wrote the name of the toy on the Ziploc. It was time to pick up and start getting ready for bed. Dylan has begun to argue and was particularly boisterous tonight. On top of being loud and argumentative he threw a couple of items out of frustration.
Phil was getting upset and I finally had had enough. It was if I'd been Godsmacked! I very quietly and firmly told the little scoundrel that I was taking back control and the "tail was no longer wagging the dog". It took about an hour and lots of angry voices and angry body stomping, kicking, bargaining (on his part) without budging me. He lost some privileges, but, all in all everything got done.
I know that setting boundaries is the most loving and kind thing we can do for Dylan. He knows we love him. We want the best for him. We know that Dylan can control his temper in most instances. He has a long way to go but if we can work together and be firm in our resolve we can take back control of this house.
I pray one of us lives long enough to see Dylan into adulthood. I want to be around for all the grandkids but Dylan will need some extra guidance. Phil and I are all he has to rely on. Other than his mother in Spokane, no other family live close by.

No comments:
Post a Comment